Bedrooms are the refuge of our home. The bedroom of the future aims to create warmth and security, with elements that embrace simplicity and functionality, while at the same time expressing our personal style.
In this year's trends we see the characteristics of recent trends such as Japandi and Cottagecore, the utilization of traditional materials in new ways, the absence of screens, minimal spaces and special and original design details.
The bedrooms now focus on the essence, highlighting the warm and comfortable side of minimalism. They are influenced by Japandi's Japanese aesthetics, which expresses a desire for simplicity, functionality and open, neat spaces, traditional, natural materials and soft color tones.
- We've talked about the trend in the past. Japandi, which we see a lot in the bedrooms, mixing Scandinavian with Japanese design. The Japanese Wabi-Sabi meets the Scandinavian Hygge, to find beauty in imperfection, warmth and comfort. We can see this mixing in the minimalist colors, the classic materials, the interesting construction and the love for functionality.
- The classic materials are the basic feature of a cozy minimalist bedroom. We find materials that are popular in Scandinavian design, such as wood and glass, which give the space warmth and a sense of contact with nature. On the other hand, we find materials of Japanese design such as slate, paper, bamboo and ratan.
- Construction with meaning which we see in Japanese and Scandinavian culture, recognizes the value of objects with sentimental value and combines them with sustainable design.
- The soft patterns and shapes are chosen to bring a sense of calmness and to enhance the minimalist look.
- The maintenance of a tidy space it is a key feature of this trend. Smart storage solutions and multipurpose furnishings they make their appearance again, to create a space that calms the spirit.
Bedrooms that stimulate the spirit
The bedrooms, aiming to stimulate and rejuvenate the spirit and body, derive their style from our desire for warmth and pleasure, especially in this uncertain time. Elements such as the absence of screens, rich fabrics, cottagecore and boho style create a special effect that gives an interesting aesthetic to the space.
- The absence of screens is one of the key features of this trend which is intended to revitalize and stimulate. Comfortable mattresses and pillows, cozy corners for reading, soft lighting and calming scents, replace screens and electronic devices.
- Rich fabrics are used to create the warm and comfortable style of the cocoon. Organic cotton and knitted fabrics are combined with warm rugs.
- We talked a lot about the aesthetic of cottagecore in the tribute to this year's living rooms. This trend, reminiscent of the English countryside, also appears in the bedrooms, bringing with it warm colors such as soft pinks and blues, works of art inspired by botanical designs and the countryside, classic materials and natural lighting.
- The neutral and bright colors mix, creating an effect that offers energy and relaxes us at the same time. Beige, cream, gray, mustard, green and orange dominate and are combined with interesting decor items, textiles and furniture.
- The boho chic it has a strong presence. The style combines colors, fabrics, travel souvenirs and plants to create an upbeat and energetic traveling effect. You can find this style in our new collection from Madam Stoltz.
Bedrooms that focus on luxury
We see in many cases, bedrooms that resemble the look of a luxury hotel room, which is in line with the personal style of their owner. Our interior designers travel through time, exploring intense, dark colors and patterns, inspired by different eras.
- The bright colors dominate this year's bedrooms: deep blue, gray and black are options that work great in traditional and modern interior design. The classic blue, combined with velvet and metallic details, to bring an air of luxury to the space.
- We see interesting, eclectic patterns in French and English styles, such as classic floral, stripes and botanical patterns, with which, the classic meets the new.
- The combination of fabrics with different weaves, it can easily give character to your bedroom. Fabrics such as boucle, velvet and satin are used in armchairs, carpets and pillows.
- Statement artwork in bright colors such as blue, orange, purple and green compose an aesthetic that can create an environment that calms and rejuvenates at the same time. Learn more about decorating with artwork in the recent article, How to decorate an empty wall at home;
Bedrooms with special walls
Interior designers try to give personality to the bedroom and at the same time create an atmosphere of comfort. That's why they experiment by creating special walls, with different colors and materials, such as tiles, acoustic panels with wooden slats, wooden linings and wallpapers.
- Now the wall tiles are not just for the kitchen and bathroom. Their presence in the bedroom, in many different shapes and materials enhances the desired sense of calm and well-being. Interior designers are experimenting with round ceramic tiles and dark shades. They are especially used behind beds or when the bathroom meets the bedroom.
- Shiplap forms a kind of wooden lining of thin long boards, which are laid horizontally, with a small gap between them, and are usually painted white. They can create a special texture and feel on the wall, without the presence of many colors.
- Murals and wallpapers are the most direct way to express your personal style in the bedroom through a statement wall. I talked quite a bit about different ways to use wallpaper in the article, Wallpapers: how to upgrade your home decor. Interior designers have shown a preference for tropical motifs, geometric patterns and bright colors.
Bedrooms with headboards that stand out
Beds are not just for sleeping since a lot of us read, relax and work on our bed. Therefore, the headboard of the bed is not a simple addition, but can be a reference point of the decoration of the room. Interesting headboards of many different styles create an effect reminiscent of a luxury hotel.
- Headboards with storage areas are a useful solution. You can store things, but you can also decorate them with books, works of art and souvenirs, having the convenience to change their style at any time.
- Headboards with curves and curved furniture in general, offer a warmer, softer and ”dreamy" style. These rounded shapes prevail, as interior design is now quite oriented towards comfort, the creation of a “cocoon" and a sense of security.
- Fabric headboards certainly dominate, as interior designers explore different colors and fabrics to achieve a feeling that combines comfort with luxury.
- Handmade headboards are becoming even more popular, in order to add special texture, warmth and a sense of human presence to the space. Especially in natural materials such as Ratan, bamboo and leather. They are often combined with wooden beds and natural, cotton, textiles in blankets and sheets.
Importance in lighting
Lighting is one of the most important attributes of interior decoration. Its importance is special in the bedroom as it can affect our mood. Lighting calms us, brings attention to the points we want and serves our practical needs. You can read more in the article, Home lighting: the top trends of 2022.
- The lighting with spotlights will continue to be popular, as it offers many options in terms of directions and light power. They can be used to illuminate the entire room or to bring attention to one corner of the space according to the needs of their owner.
- The interior lighting, in which, the lamps are placed in internal recesses in the ceiling, dominate the bedrooms. Its aesthetics are inspired by skylights and they can provide the necessary light with a minimalist effect, especially in low-ceiling bedrooms.
- Now the hanging fixtures are not chosen by chance, but are a bright element, which radically affects the decor of the rest of the space. Interior designers experiment with many different styles, materials and shapes, from chandeliers to huge geometric lamps made of copper, aluminum or natural materials, such as wood, Ratan, ceramics, straw, etc.
- The natural lighting it is of the utmost importance, especially in the bedroom, as it creates a warm and calm atmosphere. Designers and architects use methods such as large windows, skylights, glass walls and sunlight lamps to bring natural light into the bedroom.
Choosing the perfect bedside table
I talked quite a bit about some particular styles in bedside tables in my article 6 original options for alternative bedside tables. They are one of the most stable parts of a bedroom and help maintain a neat space. Now they can influence the decor of the room, taking influences from many different styles.
- Regardless of style and aesthetic, the usability of a bedside table is its main feature, which serves its basic purpose. Maintaining a neat, therefore calm bedroom. This usability is interpreted differently by each interior designer. Headboards with built-in storage, shelves, bedside tables with drawers, coffee tables, trays and other solutions are used, in accordance with the decor of the rest of the room.
- The bedside tables with a special style are chosen to express the aesthetics of their owner. We notice a particular preference in mid-century furniture and the return and renewal of the classic style. At the same time, particularly asymmetrical designs but also alternative objects such as chairs, stools and boxes also make their presence felt.
- Materials that have a special sense of texture they are used more than ever. Wood, leather, cement, marble and Ratan, combine with organic shapes and add elegance and personality to the bedroom space.
You can find more hints to create the perfect bedroom in the article Ideas for comfortable bed and beautifully decorated bedroom. Do not forget that no matter how you choose to decorate your space, the most important thing is to feel comfort, warmth and tranquility in it.
Follow our latest articles for many more HINTS and write us in the comments what advice you would like next.